• There isn't very much activity here anymore. We recommend you join our Discord server to get real-time response: Discord Invite Link

Rejected Experience Gain from Catching Wild Pokemon

Budtype

Starting Trainer
In the newer Gen, the Pokemon that participate in a battle that ends with catching a wild Pokemon are rewarded with a portion of the Experience Points that would have been awarded if that wild Pokemon had fainted.

This is really amazing because actually catching some wild Pokemon can be a challenge, setting up statuses and getting their HP low. Also in this process your Pokemon can take damage and use up PP and then be inhibited for following battles. Often times players will continuously catch wild Pokemon as they are trying for a certain Ability or Nature.

If there was Experience gain from catching wild Pokemon, it would make catches feel more rewarding.

This game is amazing and I am trying to get my friends invested! There are so many great features, thanks to everyone on the Dev team and the community as well!

Enethil

Community Support & Suggestions/Feedback Moderator
Donator
Trusted Support
Retired Mod
I talked with Nilllzz about this back when gen 6 was released, and the answer was no

nilllzz

Kolben Developer
Administrator
P3D Developer
Ya I kinda like it the old way too. The gem 6 way it just to make the game easier for younger kids I was even shocked how easy ev training is in it.
Gen 6 was the first game that even acknowledged EV training.

james012

Gym Leader
Gen 6 was the first game that even acknowledged EV training.
acknowledged or not, ev training has been around for some time now I could boot up some of my older games and still do it, and the why it is not it way to easy, I fill gen 6 is about the easiest of the gens yet. I mean a monkey could do it in x and y with out even thanking omg punch a bag and send balls at a target, and the amount of exp you get seems to be jacked up so that you use the exp share what is now a click to use and not a hold item. I could go on about many more things, but never the less I still like the game was just saying it was way easyer then the last game I played (pokemon blk)
and if I remember right zinc, protein, iron, carbos, calcium, and hp up and been around from the start so it was even acknowledged in pokemon red, blue, and yellow ( I have never played the usa vs on theses games only jpn red, but I know there in jpn red) they just did not make it widely acknowledgeable.

Fanta

Content Developer
P3D Developer
Global Moderator
acknowledged or not, ev training has been around for some time now I could boot up some of my older games and still do it, and the why it is not it way to easy, I fill gen 6 is about the easiest of the gens yet. I mean a monkey could do it in x and y with out even thanking omg punch a bag and send balls at a target, and the amount of exp you get seems to be jacked up so that you use the exp share what is now a click to use and not a hold item. I could go on about many more things, but never the less I still like the game was just saying it was way easyer then the last game I played (pokemon blk)
and if I remember right zinc, protein, iron, carbos, calcium, and hp up and been around from the start so it was even acknowledged in pokemon red, blue, and yellow ( I have never played the usa vs on theses games only jpn red, but I know there in jpn red) they just did not make it widely acknowledgeable.
You misunderstood what he said, the games never mentioned anything about "EVs" or "IVs", that does not mean that they were not in the games.
As for vitamins, the games also did not specify where the increase would be, Zink for example says "Raises the base Sp.Def stat of one Pokémon." now tell me, where does it say "EVs" in that?

nilllzz

Kolben Developer
Administrator
P3D Developer
A few things:
  • 5th generation games have been "harder" in terms of EXP because of the formula change. Compare: Gen 1-4, Gen 5 , also, they reverted the EXP share from Gen 6 to the EXP ALL from Gen 1. So they made it "easier again".
  • And no, they never acknowledged the existence of any EVs or IVs anywhere in the game. They always show and talk about either "base stats" which are the base stats a Pokémon has to calculate its stats based on EVs and IVs it gets. As you might know, the stats you see in the menus don't actually exist, those are just visual representation of the following combined: EVs, IVs, Base Stats, Nature. People only found about those values by looking at source code. Generation 6 actually provided a way to effectively train those EVs and also improved the breeding process in regards of IVs.
  • Generation 1 and 2 had wildly different EV, IV and Stats calculations. For more information, reference here.
  • "Ev training has always been around." You don't say. That is the ONLY way to train your Pokémon apart from vitamins.
  • In your sense of "acknowledgment", they did publicly acknowledge something because it's coded in the game, because it's used somewhere. That practically means, every glitch, every bug, every piece of code is "acknowledged", as in, it's used as part of the game that gets presented to the enduser. This is not true.
  • Why is separating directed EV training from undirected EV training a bad thing, or a thing that made the game "too easy"? You need to spend a considerable amount of time you won't spend just to get through the game's storyline. Excessive grinding has never been part of the main storyline if you don't skip half of the trainers.
  • Every single Pokémon has been easy to play when you understand the core mechanics, like type charts and attack methods. "Pokémon games always get easier HURR DURR" is a trend, because people grow older and discover the true mechanics behind a Pokémon game and use them for their advantage. Obviously, for them, the games get easier.

james012

Gym Leader
well sorry I guess slower players would need this , however I didn't and didn't even know it was called ev training for the longest time I just new what to do and what pokemon to fight that would raise my stats, and as a good player and pvper I did what I need to and learned throw out the years how to do it and and only got better with breeding as I thank that was the main point of breed was to get the right nat and stats you wanted so I used breeding to make very powerful pokemon and that has been around for a long time too 2ed gen. It don't need to tell you want it is to do it, I mean I don't see why it needs a name to be acknowledged. as I put b4 they just did not make it widely acknowledgeable.

nilllzz

Kolben Developer
Administrator
P3D Developer
well sorry I guess slower players would need this , however I didn't and didn't even know it was called ev training for the longest time I just new what to do and what pokemon to fight that would raise my stats, and as a good player and pvper I did what I need to and learned throw out the years how to do it and and only got better with breeding as I thank that was the main point of breed was to get the right nat and stats you wanted so I used breeding to make very powerful pokemon and that has been around for a long time too 2ed gen. It don't need to tell you want it is to do it, I mean I don't see why it needs a name to be acknowledged. as I put b4 they just did not make it widely acknowledgeable.
They cover all the values like EVs and IVs with the stats in the menu. Hence they don't acknowledge their existence. If they would, they would put those values somewhere visible. The only thing coming even close to that are the "readers" that tell you the best IVs of your Pokémon. They don't use that term either though.

james012

Gym Leader
Well I could go on about a few things but I don't thank this post is the best place got a lil off topic but love bsing around and picking brains you left me with a few thing to thank about, I respect your point of view and will end this on asking if there any plains to get the ev enhancing items in pk3d anytime soon?