[Tools] Collection of tools for sprite making / mapping / modding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint

Gym Leader
Contributor
Since i have noticed a increased interest in people willing to create maps and sprites i thought it would be a good idea to post most of the tools we currently have available.

For mapping:
For textures / sprites:
General Tools:
  • Folder Creator (By Me): http://pokemon3d.net/forum/attachments/96/
    • Explanation:
    • Part 1
      • Create a folder structure as seen down below u may use your own names if u want however these are conveniently named
      • Go to http://sprites.pokecheck.org/?gen=3 or another site that has these .gif images however i made this tool based on the images of that website.
      • Right click and save the webpage this will save the entire HTML page along with all the .gif
      • Now go into your root folder and open up the folder of the webpage u just saved.
      • Select all images inside and cut and paste these into the correct folder
      • Delete the now empty website folder and html page
      • I am using google chrome which has a "Inspect Element" option build in this gave me a handy overview of the .gif on the website and they conveniently named the pokemon correctly
      • For those that do not use chrome or want another method u can always use another source like http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page
      • Now start up the Folder Creator
      • U can use the select buttons or type in the textfields directly to set the correct folders for where the .gif are located.
      • Hit "Set Folders" if the Pokemons tab has been greyed out even though u filled it out.
      Continuing in the next post
      Part 2
      • Next up is the pokemon tab here u will add the pokemon names and correct filename.
      • The filenames need to be without the .gif extension it is hardcoded in to look for these kind of files.
      • Once u have added the pokemons and correct file names hit the "Create Folders button" if all goes well u should receive a succesful prompt else it will tell u what has gone wrong.
      • Go into your output folder and there should now be folders named after the pokemon u entered.
      • Inside these folders should be these folders (back , back_s , front , front_s) and inside each of these folders should now be located the .gif
      • U can now continue the convert process using GIFMakerGUI and the PokemonSpriteMaker

I followed the "Tutorial" and i got this error when using the Pokemon Sprite Maker:

Unhandled exception has occurred in you aplication.

Details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at PokemonSpriteMaker.Form1.button_start_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
PokemonSpriteMaker
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Daniel/Desktop/GIF%20maker/PkMn%20maker/PokemonSpriteMaker.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 11.0.50709.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Splint

Gym Leader
Contributor
When using the spritemaker u need to have all 4 folders Front / Front_s / Back / Back_s select the folder these 4 folders are in and hit add.

Under "Files" these 4 folders should appear.

Hit "Start All" and it should work hitting "Start" will give u a error so do not use that

Prince Vade

Champion
Trusted Support
Retired Mod

I cannot get this program to work. Opens fine, but I think I am using it wrong. Let's say I wanted to export the file "Routes"
Pokemon>Content>Textures
I am on windows 8, I have most of the other programs you have listed, all the XNA at least.
No matter what I try it never does anything, it just stops responding and then helpful windows closes it.
I have tried the following.
1. Copy and pasting the path settings of said .xnb files into the "file name" text box
2. Just typing the name "Routes" without anything else open
3. Just typing the name "Routes" while the folder was open
4. Copy and pasting the .xnb file from desktop and retrying #1

Of course with my luck, I am using it wrong and I'm also an idiot. Please help.

Prince Vade

Champion
Trusted Support
Retired Mod
I cannot get this program to work. Opens fine, but I think I am using it wrong. Let's say I wanted to export the file "Routes"
Pokemon>Content>Textures
I am on windows 8, I have most of the other programs you have listed, all the XNA at least.
No matter what I try it never does anything, it just stops responding and then helpful windows closes it.
I have tried the following.
1. Copy and pasting the path settings of said .xnb files into the "file name" text box
2. Just typing the name "Routes" without anything else open
3. Just typing the name "Routes" while the folder was open
4. Copy and pasting the .xnb file from desktop and retrying #1

Of course with my luck, I am using it wrong and I'm also an idiot. Please help.
Please ignore my stupidity. I wasn't aware that the program had to be in the same folder :banghead:

Prince Vade

Champion
Trusted Support
Retired Mod
I am having a problem with the installation of Game studio.
It tells me I need Visual studio, which I have downloaded. One more note:
Is it possible to zip up the necessary .dll files I need to run XNA formatter?
That is what I am trying to run atm.

Splint

Gym Leader
Contributor
Nope the entire reason why u need to download XNA Game studio is it provides the necessary files.

Those files cannot be distributed separately.

Prince Vade

Champion
Trusted Support
Retired Mod
Nope the entire reason why u need to download XNA Game studio is it provides the necessary files.

Those files cannot be distributed separately.
Well, and this may be tedious for you, if i send you a zip with a bunch of .png's could you convert them for me every so often? :)
Until I can figure out why windows 8 won't run this program.

Status
Not open for further replies.