[Modding Questions] Have a question about modding? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint

Gym Leader
Contributor
Hello everyone

Since i could not find a proper place to ask these sort of questions i thought i would start a general thread in the unofficial development forum.

So anyone who has questions about scripting / mapping / sprite editing / music editing etc can post here and hopefully someone who has the right knowledge about these things can answer :)

In order to keep this thread clean i suggest posting your questions in a readable layout avoiding walls of text if possible.

Down below is a basic example u could use for your post and off course u are free to come up with your own just try and keep it a bit organized so other people who may have similar questions as u have can easily look trough this thread and find the answers they might need.

Let me know if this is a good way to handle it or if it is to much? :p

Question:
How can i create my own trainer?

Prior knowledge:
I know i have to create or edit the maps to add a npc for my trainer and edit the scripts but i dont know how!

Question answered:
Yes thank you [posters name here] really helped me out.
Answer can be found on page [page number here]
Or if u have a problem
Problem:

My map textures are not aligned properly any ideas what is causing this?
[image here]

What i tried so far:
Tried re-sizing the image to 128 x 128 but for some reason it still keeps happening

Problem solved?
Yes thanks [posters name here] i can now continue working!
Solution to my problem can be found on page [page number here]
Before posting your question check these threads out first!:

Mapping:
General mapping thread contains overall knowledge:
Created by DracoHouston:http://pokemon3d.net/forum/threads/60/
Scripting:
No threads yet
Sprite editing:
No threads yet
Music editing:
No threads yet

Splint

Gym Leader
Contributor
Now that we have a place established for asking questions i can ask mine :p
Before i post my suggestion on the suggestions forum i wanted to see if it would work in-game.

Question:
I am trying to create a custom script that involves moving a NPC around but requires a method of saving the players current position.

Is there a command to temporary store the current players position so that it can be recalled later in the script?

Prior knowledge:
I have looked trough the existing scripts and so far anything close to getting the players position would be this:
Code:
:if:position(Player,32,0,7)
However this requires to be the player in a specific position and not get the players position.

I don't know what language this is written in either is it something i can look up tutorials off or is it something custom made by Nilllzz?

Question answered:
Not yet

Edit:
After thinking it trough some more i decided to just create a basic script with 2 npc's and a dialogue to showcase the idea i had.

Idea: http://pokemon3d.net/forum/threads/268/#post-2176

DracoHouston

Kolben Developer
Contributor
i had mapping thread for this stuff but my OP is kinda old and the info is spread over a lot of posts. im going to do up guides for mapping and modding as we get tools and systems in place for that.

my thread goes over scripting up elms lab and a bunch of stuff about npc sprites as well if you want to scoop info out of them for your OP.

everyone feel free to use this thread for questions about modding. if you have a completed project or something you want to share with everyone you should probably make a new thread because not everyone will be reading megathreads

by the way, i really wanna see that doom level you did you talked about in another thread. and the pedobear overworld sprite, hehe

DracoHouston

Kolben Developer
Contributor
FYI the scripting language is built from scratch by nilllzz. he was working on a spec for it but i'm not sure if he finished that

DracoHouston

Kolben Developer
Contributor
im going to sticky this thread, if you want to ask a question but don't want to go to the trouble of having a thread for it just ask here

Draco, I was wondering if you had the skill codes for Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion that they learn like Flame Wheel and whatnot, just in case they don't learn the move by leveling, I'd like to be able to put the code in for the move so everything feels good, if you do happen to have those on hand or would know where/which .dat file I could look at to see the Move code.

By Code, just in case, I mean like how "Attack1"[33,30,14] applies to Tackle being in the first slot.

Darkfire

Administrator
Administrator
P3D Developer
the first number is the move(get the number from the wiki)
the second number is the max pp
the third number is the current pp

Shou Liengod

Contributor
Trusted Support
I have a question, if i would want to Change some NPC Locations lets say, Moving Mom to Violet City in the PokeMart, how would i do so?

Plus i want to know how to add a Map and having a it linked to a certain map lets say from NewBark Town to Route 29 where a new Path would be present near Cherrygrove and being linked to my Map.

Darkfire

Administrator
Administrator
P3D Developer
the code for the NPCs are in the maps under pokemon/maps
each character is saved in the map files and has there location for that map in the coding

Darkfire

Administrator
Administrator
P3D Developer
this is a sample of the warp script from the cherrygrove mart
Code:
{"Entity"{ENT[{"EntityID"{str[WarpBlock]}}{"Position"{sngArr[4,0,6]}}{"TexturePath"{str[Center]}}{"Textures"{recArr[[80,64,16,16]]}}{"TextureIndex"{intArr[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]}}{"Collision"{bool[1]}}{"ModelID"{int[1]}}{"Action"{int[0]}}{"AdditionalValue"{str[cherrygrove.dat,25,0.1,5,0]}}{"Rotation"{int[0]}}]}}
the last part of the code tells it where it goes to

Shou Liengod

Contributor
Trusted Support
this is a sample of the warp script from the cherrygrove mart
Code:
{"Entity"{ENT[{"EntityID"{str[WarpBlock]}}{"Position"{sngArr[4,0,6]}}{"TexturePath"{str[Center]}}{"Textures"{recArr[[80,64,16,16]]}}{"TextureIndex"{intArr[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]}}{"Collision"{bool[1]}}{"ModelID"{int[1]}}{"Action"{int[0]}}{"AdditionalValue"{str[cherrygrove.dat,25,0.1,5,0]}}{"Rotation"{int[0]}}]}}
the last part of the code tells it where it goes to
you mean the Additional Values? hmm... i need to find the Map Editor in the Forums D:

Shou Liengod

Contributor
Trusted Support
i did some testing and yeah your right! its similar in the Scripting Files in Trainers that is related in the map folder in the dat files. thanks for the Info!

DracoHouston

Kolben Developer
Contributor
Thank you Darkfire.
yeah moves arent data driven yet, but its planned. you can swap moves on your pokemon inside your saves but they will naturally learn anything thats in their species data

you can find species data at /pokemon/content/pokemon/data/

a pokemon right now consists primarily of 3 things
-an id number
-name
-sprite

right now the menu sprites dont have support for custom pokemon so any pokemon must be an id number that exists in the nintendo games, but only 1-251 are in use by p3d at this point. the name determines what folder the game looks for the sprite in inside /pokemon/content/pokemon/animations/

then theres a bunch of stats and stuff to make that species that species, for moves the relevant lines start with "Moves|" which is followed by the level they learn the move and the move id number

move id numbers correspond to this list http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_moves and pokemon are using their gen 5 learn by level and tm/hm move sets

but thats where move customization ends im afraid. we don't have a system where we can feed it a bunch of commands and a move comes out, nor do we have a system where we give it a bunch of data on particles and a move animation comes out. when those are done you can make a pokemon that looks like anything that does a move that can do anything that looks like anything on a map that could be anything. i'm looking forward to what people will do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.