We will not be supporting the save sync system in the next update. Please make sure you retrieve your saves from the cloud.
Hello gamers! Apologies for the delay in updates, Nils has been quite busy.
I'd like to give you all a heads up on upcoming changes to multiplayer.
GameJolt has opened up many new ways for us to do things. This begun with the cloud syncing of save games and the Global Trade System. Our experience with this system has changed a few of our plans.
There has been vigorous debate over the issue of how games are currently saved and what it means for future plans for multiplayer. After much thought Nils has settled on an offline/online save system. Some may be familiar with this arrangement from Diablo 2's 'open' and 'battle.net' save games.
Basically, current save games are going to be offline saves. Stored locally these save games are rife with loopholes for cheating; offline saves will not be able to participate in the GTS or global PVP. Both will get an offline only equivalent, so if you do not use the cloud saving system you can still trade to evolve pokemon and battle your friends via direct TCP connection
At this stage Nils is looking at having a single gamejolt cloud save per account, using the default game mode. We will both be looking at ways to go beyond that and offer multiple characters and cloud saves for user game modes.
For those who were worried about save encryption, worry no more! By making the decision to make a distinction between local and cloud saves we no longer have to look at ways to stop the player cheating through save files. Our focus can shift to dealing with the sort of hacks that exist in any online game.
I'm not reading all that, Draco. What's actually changing?
If you are not interested in opting into the GameJolt system:
If you decide to opt into the new system:
- Your save is fine, keep using it.
- Do whatever you want with it, it is human readable plain text. Edit it all you want.
- You will not be able to use the GTS or any future global PVP system
- You will still be able to coop over network, as you can now. Eventually trade and pvp over network will be introduced to allow offline players to have a full experience.
- You won't be able to coop with the gamejolt players, but offline saves are fairly easy to cheat so if a gamejolt player wants to play with you and you don't want to start again from scratch they could just cheat their way up to where you are.
Basically, those who are not interested in PvP and the GTS can safely ignore the gamejolt system and continue playing as normal. We aim to make offline play a fully featured pokemon game, with the capability to play user made pokemon games. You will not be missing out on trading and PVP in the long run, offline play only means you aren't as easily connected to other players.
- You will have to make a new character
- Gain access to all the online features
- 1 character, no mods except content packs.
- You can still make offline characters, as many as you want, with whatever mod you want.
- The save is stored in the cloud, therefore internet access is required to access it and save to it. Those without stable internet should stick to the offline saves.
So all we get out of this is anti cheat?
Not quite, we have some nice features planned, though some of them will be waiting for more capabilities to be added to GameJolt itself. Here is a list of features we have planned, for more detail, read on.
- Friends list - This may be possible in the short term with what we have available but it might be a medium term goal if we wait for GameJolt's planned friends feature. We would be using it anyway when it comes out
- Quick Join PVP - Join a pool of players looking for a fight and the system will find you a partner
- Player Levels - Do things ingame to increase your score, gaining you a title and emblems for your trainer card
- Customizable Trainer Card - Earn emblems to change your trainer card
Well, account or character levels, for gamejolt players this will be tied to account, for offline players it is tied to your character. This is not a progression system.
Levels are determined by your score.
Formula: level = CInt(Math.Floor(xRoot(3, (4 / 5) * playerPoints * 10)))
You gain points for the following things, this may be subject to change:
The following ways to gain points only work online:
- Defeating an NPC (3)
- Defeating a wild Pokémon (1)
- Pokémon level up (worth the square root of the pokemon level in points)
- Pick berries (2)
- Catching a Pokémon (3)
- Getting a Gym Badge (10)
- Beating the Champion (50)
- Completing the Pokedex (1000)
- Trade with an NPC (10)
- Evolution (10)
A list of planned titles and their point thresholds, again, this may be subject to change
- Trade in the GTS (4)
- Trade in the FTS (5)
- Add a friend (1)
- Win a PvP battle (20)
- Joining a Co-op game (1)
Starting with the GameJolt save we will be trying to show the trainer card on the load menu. This trainer card will be customizable with different backgrounds called Emblems. Here is a mockup of how this may look
Nils is hard at work implementing these things now.
Nils has implemented the GameJolt load screen and loading the save. Saving will be done as well in short order. This is definitely coming in 0.32
Change background image