1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome Guest! Why don't you take 30 seconds and Sign up. Once you do you'll be able to connect with the Pokémon 3D community. Please make sure to read our Terms and Rules.

Dedicated server hosting

Discussion in 'Suggestions/Feedback' started by benthens, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benthens

benthens Bug Catcher

Credit:
    P43.00
    Hi was wondering if this was thought of to implant into the game at a later date? I host a minecraft server so I was wondering if there was any hope for a dedicated pokemon3d server.

Benthens
  2. Daniel 'RTRD'

Daniel 'RTRD' Webmaster

• Elite Four
    • Administrator
    • Kolben Staff
    • Contributor
    Credit:
    P42,749.58
    Probably not.
  3. DracoHouston

DracoHouston Kolben Developer

• Contributor
    Credit:
    P1,126.00
    the thing with dedicated servers are you need a reason to have them up all the time. minecraft servers host maps and pretty much the whole point of the game is exploring that map and doing things to it, so you need a server to keep the changes saved where everyone can log into it and play. pokemon 3d is just pokemon, if you play it in coop you're just playing in the world of the host's save game. you can help them progress (when all the coop stuffs in) but you can't really make any changes that you'd need a server to hold onto. it also isn't really a game for a large amount of players. right now it takes 2, but i think theres plans for up to 4 (you'd need to to start double and ffa battles with 4 players). some games use dedicated servers despite low player counts per server, like left4dead, but if the game isn't intensive enough where a server and client running on the same machine is a bad idea listen servers work just fine.

it'd be nice to have coop games register to a master server so you can have open coop games where people could look at a server list and join you. if you wanted just your friends you'd put a password on it.
  4. Paul Avila

Paul Avila Bug Catcher

Credit:
    P79.00
    I can try use hamachi to create a private lan and play co-op?:woot:
  5. Splint

Splint Gym Leader

• Contributor
    Credit:
    P1,223.75
    Dedicated servers primarily are less laggy then if they are pure peer to peer servers due to having better connections and the code that has been split up and optimized for server environments.

Also there might be a possibility of having save games on the actual server which could prevent editing on the client side and cheating to a certain degree.

However dedicated servers are in my opinion if u plan on having a lot more then 4 players and it will just turn Pokemon3D almost into a "mmo" like environment.

If u think about it having dedicated servers could open up a whole range of possibilities.
    • Custom maps hosted only by that specific server.
    • Events that could be scheduled by the host
    • Partying up with a group of players
    • Timezone based on the server location
    The thing is the current plan is just to support up to 4 players co-op with battling and trading implemented and this is all peer to peer (sort off).

The idea is interesting but i do not think there are any plans anytime soon to step over from a peer to peer environment to pure peer to server.
  6. MrTimoshi

MrTimoshi Fisherman

Credit:
    P49.50
    The only real reason to have dedicated servers with Pokemon 3D is a large PVP multiplayer system. The only multiplayer capabilities right now is maximum four player Co-Op. Nils has already said no to an MMO (and a larger multiplayer system is still FAR down the road if it ever gets implemented), so there's no reason for dedicated servers.
  7. AlessaGarnish

AlessaGarnish Dragon Tamer

• Contributor
    Credit:
    P47.00
    This is idea is pretty good indeed. Hope something like this will ble implemented :)
  8. MrTimoshi

MrTimoshi Fisherman

Credit:
    P49.50
    I loved the server setup in SOCOM: Fire Team Bravo 2. Servers had a player limit and players had to set up their own games. Games could also be password protected. I think that would be the perfect setup for Pokemon 3D if we ever get dedicated online multiplayer.
  9. DracoHouston

• Contributor
    Credit:
    P1,126.00
    the cool thing about p2p games is you can put in a online service for finding the games etc like battle.net. i think ideally coop will function like playing coop in d3, its just a single player game you've opened up to people and advertised (either to the public list or to your friends only)

i dont think only cloud saves is an option for us, the games gotta work offline i dont think we can get away with always online ;) online only saves could be an option but then it splits up the players.

we're gunna encrypt the save files at some point, will still be hackable by a determined player but it should stop casual edits. for now its cool that people can do whatever with their saves though, because the games indev
    these are possible with p2p games too, we just lack a service to glue it all together.

trading, chatting and battling cross game could be possible with a master server to coordinate it, without having to go full MMO
    because we don't have a master server the game does not holepunch for you so no NAT traversal, hamachi can do that for you, worked a treat for me.
  10. MrTimoshi

MrTimoshi Fisherman

Credit:
    P49.50
    I still say there's no real reason to have a dedicated server. Why not just make a multiplayer client with local game hosting. If you want to trade or battle with a friend send a request to their box. They can then open their game to either private or public p2p and do the trade/battle/co-op/etc. I fail to see why there needs to be a main server for gameplay.

This is my idea for how it should work:
    Friends-lists would be stored locally and a player would send a unicast packet to everyone on their friends-list when they come online. The packet would be routed through the website until the players' lists update with the IP address of the player that is online. Any messages, status-checks, and multiplayer packets would then be sent directly.​
  11. DracoHouston

• Contributor
    Credit:
    P1,126.00
    that sounds like a master server to me :p
  12. MrTimoshi

MrTimoshi Fisherman

Credit:
    P49.50
    Not at all. The hosting would be local with the website acting as a single-use router whenever someone comes online. That completely voids the need to set up an auxiliary server, which is what's in question.
  13. DracoHouston

• Contributor
    Credit:
    P1,126.00
    that's literally A Master Server

another example of a master server is the thing that gives you the server list in fps games when you search for games
  14. MrTimoshi

MrTimoshi Fisherman

Credit:
    P49.50
    Ah. I was assuming it was an auxiliary server that the games and interactions are hosted at. My bad. If you will excuse me, I'll go cry myself to sleep now. :bag:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.